Thursday, November 1, 2007

Alicia Keys Speaks On Family Tragedy Leading Up To Her New Album


Tuesday - October 30, 2007 by JaneƩ Bolden


With a new album only weeks away, Alicia Keys is finally opening up about her personal life and the recent death of her grandmother.

In a recent interview with The Independent the multi-talented Keys revealed she faced some "real lows" in 2006, before embarking on the writing and recording of her coming album As I Am.

Much of her struggle was related to her experience last year, caring for her paternal grandmother, who was suffering from an advanced cancer that would eventually claim her life. Keys told The Independent that her grandmother's illness "broke" her down "in a lot of ways."

With her father residing in Colorado, Keys took over as primary caregiver of the grandmother who had, in turn, played an active role raising her, and for the time being put her career on hold.

"I had to totally, completely stop," Keys said. "I'm used to constantly going on to the next thing, but I realized at that moment, 'Man, this is it, this is all I have."

In retrospect, Keys says she made the right decision. Had she opted not to focus her full attention and energy on her grandmother, she says, "I would be a terribly messed-up person right now. I would be full of regret and really down on myself for that. And I was able to spend some of the most precious time with her ever. And I grew. And grew up. I learnt a lot - about family, about who's there for me, who's not."

Keys admitted it was largely this experience that helped her realize she had been neglecting herself and her personal life. Her grandmother eventually succumbed to the illness, leaving Alicia with a newfound, albeit painful, awareness.

"It was a whole different thing for me," she recalled. "And it was very stressful and it was very hard on my spirit. And I was obviously totally saddened by the fact that eventually, you know... So it was hard, and it was joyful. It was bittersweet.

How her personal struggle will be reflected in her third studio album As I Am, has yet to be revealed. The album is due for release in three weeks on November 19 via SonyBMG. Keys enlisted songwriter Linda Perry, John Mayer, Floetry singer Marsha Ambrosius and production partner Kerry "Krucial" Brothers to work on the album.


No comments: