Thursday, November 22, 2007

Ne-Yo Dropped From R. Kelly Tour

R&B singer Ne-Yo, who was tapped to open for R. Kelly on his Double Up tour alongside Keyshia Cole and J. Holiday, was relieved of his duties just a week into the trek, his label has confirmed.

"I am disappointed that I won't be able to perform for my fans," the singer said in a statement from Def Jam. "I love being on stage in front of fans because of the immediate feedback you get. You know right away if they are feeling you; and they were really feeling our show."

The statement did not elaborate on the reason behind Ne-Yo's exit, but in an interview with BET.com, the artist did.

"Let them (Jive) tell it, I was removed from the R. Kelly tour because of contractual agreements not being met, but that's absolutely false," Ne-Yo said. "I believe it was because the first few reviews of the show, people were talking more about my set than his, and I don't think he liked that too much."

Neither Def Jam nor Jive were available for comment at deadline, although an R. Kelly spokesperson insisted to Billboard.com that Ne-Yo's departure was contractual, and not related to any animosity from Kelly.

"Ne-Yo is a terrific talent, and R. Kelly is certainly confident enough in his own abilities to be happy to share the stage with enormously talented people," the spokesperson said. "The more talented, the better. We're sorry it had to end this way."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071121/music_nm/neyo_dc;_ylt=Am4vKZkwS7qzqeRjV7XP64txFb8C

No comments: